Saturday, January 28, 2012

Twenty-two Teeth

Considerable neglect and irresponsible breeding means that it is sadly very common for puppy mill dogs to have problems with their teeth. We knew that Nala was going to need a lot of work and scheduled her for surgery as soon as she'd been taken into the program. She was a very good girl for the vet but they had to do an awful lot of work. In total she had 22 teeth removed and her right upper canine was so diseased that she had an oral to nasal fistula - essentially a cavity that went all the way through to her nose. The vet took before and after photos for us, so look away if you're a little squeamish:



It's hardly a wonder that she hasn't been keen on eating much since we arrived. I don't mean to be downbeat but I do worry so about the little lady at the moment. She detests her medication, of which there are three variations: two different tablets and an orally administered syringe. I wish I could explain to her that she'll feel so much better for it and that I'm just doing the best I can for her but of course that kind of logic is of no use.

In the meantime I feel like each dose of medicine dismantles hours of work in gaining her trust and bringing her out of her shell. At the moment she's lying in the kitchen by the bathroom door with a sad scowl on her face. Billy and I sat near her for half an hour and she eventually came over for a head scratch and gave me some kisses but she doesn't want to come and sit with us in the living room yet. It's difficult to get any food into her and she's suspicious even of cheese, which she's been very interested in before, so there's no question of hiding medication in her dinner. After her distress over tonight's dose of liquid antibiotics and the way she's shutting down, I've decided that forcing her to take another painkiller as well is more traumatic than risking some discomfort overnight. However, I know she feels better for it and that's the best way to get her feeling well enough to eat, which she sorely needs.

I've left a little food in her crate and hidden the tablet inside in the hopes that she might get hungry enough to eat it at some point. Tomorrow I'll be going to the store to see what I can add to my barrage of dog-friendly foods - especially as Billy managed to steal a giant chunk of cheese when my back was turned. Yip, he'll be waking me up in the middle of the night for sure!

10 comments:

  1. You might try picking up raw chicken hearts and using them as pill pockets. Most dogs slurp them down in a single swallow, so no tasting of any medication (at least for the pills). And, chicken hearts are naturally hollow, so it is super easy to just pick one up, push the pill in, and hand to dog.

    At the least, it might be something worth trying. Such a different treat may be something tempting enough for her to love eating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you get your chicken hearts? I was sure our local butcher would have some but they don't.

      Delete
  2. Finn did love the pill pockets also, and she had no idea we were stuffing them with pills. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shes so lucky to have gotten you as a foster mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. poor little thing! I'm sure she'll start to feel better and be curled up in your lap soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our crew tend to chew pill pockets and then spit out the pill. After trying a bunch of different vehicles, my favorite that will work everytime unless of course they are off of food, is a little bit of canned food. Swedish-meatball sized, and a firm or cold food is better as it doesn't fall apart. When you give it to them, you can try doing it like any other treat (so no suspicion) and reward for say, 'sit'. I use the verbal 'meatball' so they know that they're going to like it as they have before and again, not investigate it and instead swallow it. You might try some 'blanks' first. Works 100% for our crew.

    If Nala is on amoxacillin/clavulanic acid (augmentin), it's a stomach upsetter at our house and they start turning down food. Cefazolin doesn't quite as good coverage for oral bacteria (I'm a microbiologist) and is given more often.

    Good luck!
    Kerin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips! She doesn't know any commands yet and unfortunately tends to just nibble tiny pieces off whatever soft treat I have in my hand. But I've got some different varieties of food to try hiding it in - I'll try a couple of blanks first!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! Btw, to clarify, I meant cefazolin is given more times per day, not for more things.

      Delete
  6. Poor girl! I hope that she's feeling better today (and I can relate to having a dog that steals cheese behind your back!). Zoe is a master food thief (although it quickly becomes obvious when she's eaten something she shouldn't have...).

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope the "After" pics look a lot better than the "Before" ones! :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...